With the dog days of summer finally upon us, there’s no better time to show your favourite four-legged friend some love than with refreshing and delicious treats. From peanut butter pops to berry-yoghurt freezies, the only hard part about these satisfying snacks is not sampling them yourself.
Peaches and Cream Melts
Nothing screams summer quite like a fresh, juicy peach. Share the love with this refreshing and nutritious snack.
- 2 fresh peaches
- 1/2 cup natural yogurt or kefir
- 2 tbsp Brewer’s yeast
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- Dice peaches into relatively uniform pieces
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl until well mixed
- Spoon mixture into mini muffin tin
- Freeze for 12 hours and serve
PB & J Pops
adapted from Doggy Dessert Chef
Reminiscent of those tri-colour treats that you’d get from the ice cream truck, these frozen delights may be a little time consuming but we think you’ll agree that they’re totally worth it. Perfect for serving at your next BBQ when you want to impress your guests (both two-legged and quadrupedal.)
- 1/4 peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 2 cups frozen strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 3/4 cups natural yogurt, divided
- 4 rawhide sticks
- In a blender or food processor, blend nut butter and 3/4 cup yoghurt until smooth. Set aside
- Blend strawberries and 1/4 cup yoghurt until smooth. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix blueberries and 3/4 yogurt until combined.
- Pour an inch of the first layer into a plastic cup. Freeze for 30 minutes before inserting rawhide stick. Add second layer and return to freezer for another 30 minutes. Continue layering and freezing until all of your mixtures have been used.
- Freeze final product for 10 hours to set.
Fruity Chicken Freezes
Not only are these bright treats tasty, they pack a powerful protein punch.
- 2 cups frozen fruit (whatever you have on hand or is in season should do the trick)
- 1 turkey or chicken breast
- 1 tbsp Brewer’s yeast
- 1 cup water
- In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients until smooth
- Pour into ice cube tray or mold
- Freeze overnight
Super easy to make and full of breath-freshening and antioxidant goodness. If only human popsicles were this healthy!
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Combine all ingredients in blender, blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into ice cube tray or plastic cups.
- Freeze 10 hours
Watermelon Mint Slush
Don’t worry, we won’t tell anyone if you sneak a lick of this bright and refreshing treat.
- 2 cups watermelon
- 1 cup coconut water
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Place all ingredients in blender, blend on high until puree consistency is reached.
- Pour into ice cube tray or mold, freeze until solid.